Monday, February 24, 2014

Growing Up With Board Games

A couple of months back my sister and I stumbled upon a quaint, cozy place with a fantastic twist: a café themed around board games. Since then we've gone back a couple of times, because they give a voucher thing with each receipt and they have a pre-paid card with special rates.

Board games mean something special to me, having grown up with the happier part of my childhood being involved with playing board games with the adopted family. There's always time for board games, I'm always in the mood for board games. It's simply the best.

What first began as a hunt for frozen yoghurt (we were disappointed that Tutti Frutti in Kota Damansara had closed down) ended up with us playing board games with New Zealand Natural ice cream to satisfy our sweet tooth. (Coincidentally, NZN is my favorite ice cream brand- so of course the large banner caught my attention.)


Our first game we were introduced to is Ubongo, a puzzle-based game where you had to fit all the pieces into the board within the time limit and collect stones. It's not as easy as it looks! xD

Enjoying our ice cream and cake at the same time.

The other game is Blokus, one of my favorites, which you literally try to dominate the board and be a cockblock to everyone else.





The next game we tried included pandas and bamboos, and it included lots of limiting factors and things to consider, so it took quite a while.



There was also a fun kiddish-game including ghosts, mice, chairs and colors. Adorable!



There was one last game that included trains and train tracks and it's awesome (and I won it) but unfortunately I don't have the pictures for that. :( But I won that game, and it was great. :D

Food at the Border City Cafe is at best, mediocre. It does make things a little more fun and warm though, and they have a variety of finger food and pastas (also slightly cold all-day breakfasts). Evidently food does make the heart fonder!





Drinks to accompany our scheming.

I was pretty happy because they really do treat customers as friends, and you can have a polaroid taken on the first visit to put up on the wall. (I'm sure you can ask for it back, though- I should have just taken mine home with me, haha.)



The rest of shop was decorated with boardgames (for sale, too) from various different countries and and super comfortable seating arrangements for an optimum group of 4 or above.







All in all, Border City Café is quite a comfortable place to hang out with friends, and they open till late as well. It's worth visiting again!

No comments:

Post a Comment