Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cosfucks: Don't Be One

I've had many a rant about this before, but since having dinner with my lovely group of cosplay friends I decided that a proper rant needed to be written without any sort of bursts of laughter like we are prone to do. (Though today I coughed more than laughed so really I couldn't talk anyway. But still a fabulously wonderful dinner.)

It's without a doubt that in the past few years Cosplay has grown tremendously as a hobby, or even as a profession. Cosplay became the stepping stone into fame and fortune. I know of stories where cosplayers became models, or idols or even fashion designers and photographers got jobs- big jobs at that. Stories like that which cause people to start taking Cosplay seriously. Gradually there were competitions with a decisive amount of cash or prizes. Cosplayers were hired for part time work because they knew how to wear a costume and pose.

Now let me first state very explicitly that I am not an old timer. In fact I am considered very new at this cosplay business, and within the community as well. I am not well-versed with cosplay idols. I don't even watch anime for the matter. I started cosplaying only last year, so in terms of experience, it's not really there.

All this here is my opinion. My observations in events and the comic fiesta forums (though I am hardly active anymore) for years before I cosplayed gave me my own ideas about what Cosplay really is. When I actually came out and cosplayed, though, I was quite surprised to see much different mindsets.

Firstly let me state that I do not want to bash anyone. I don't speak with a particular person in mind.

What I find most disheartening about cosplayers today is the people who don't understand what cosplaying is. To me it is a way of expression. In costume I am someone else, I become the character for a while. I become strong and capable. I have magic on my hands. I can do stuff I normally wouldn't be able to. Cosplay makes it all happen. What I don't like is when people Cosplay just for the sake of cosplaying.

A long time ago in the cf forums I remember someone asking why people want to Cosplay. The answers ranged from "it's fun!" to "It allows me to bring my favorite character to life!". There was passion in every cosplayer, a certain driving force behind all the work they put into their cosplays. This was what attracted me so much in Cosplay. That the community was so wholly united for one hobby. I wanted to be part of that passion.

Now when I ask people who are thinking of cosplaying WHY they want to Cosplay, it hurts me to hear things like "I want to be famous like Alodia." "Everyone is doing it." "Oh I dunno. Looks like fun." I mean, excuse me? Sure it's a fantastic hobby but it is not easy. It does not bring you instant fame. Yes Cosplay is a very glamorous hobby but that does not equal fame. The fame comes when your Cosplay is exceptional. And for your Cosplay to be exceptional, you need passion. Just like with any other hobby.

People come up to me and ask, "Where do you get your wig?" "Where do you get your costume?" "Where do you get your props done?" They think cosplay is all about the costume and a wig. As long as you get the best stuff money can buy, you're set. I'm sorry, no. For one, stop being so lazy and just do your research. Yes you know a friend who cosplays. You want to know where to start, so you ask. That's a very good thing. But please at least do some research beforehand! Do you expect me to tell you in painstaking detail all the things you need to prepare for ONE cosplay? Yeah, it's probably take me all night and a day. The worst thing is? When I ask you for your character, and you tell me you don't know the character. You only cosplay him/her because they are popular.

Let's wait a minute for that to sink in.

...Look I forgive you if you're in a group. I even forgive you if you don't watch the anime/play the game to know the character first-hand, as long as you made an effort to research on the character. But if you CHOSE a character you don't relate to and want to cosplay that character for the popularity, I'm sorry, no matter how close you are to me I am going to punch you solidly in the eye sockets.

We have a term for people who do that. It's called 'cosfucks'. That is not a good thing.

I'm not saying all cosplayers have to be brilliant. Not at all. I'm saying that if you put effort to understand the character you're cosplaying, it's fine. Cosplaying is less about the costume and more about the character. It's "costume role-play". YOU ARE NOW THE CHARACTER. People look at you and say, "Oh look it's Sasuke!" People don't see YOU. People see the character. THAT is the true essence of cosplay.

Imagine if you saw a favorite character of yours at a convention. Take, for example, Naruto. Everyone knows Naruto. If you saw Naruto, you'd want to go up and talk to him. You think of him as Naruto, you expect him to turn around and give you a Naruto shit-eating grin, maybe talk about ramen, and then take pictures with a peace sign, because that's what Naruto does. If Naruto turns around and he's all broody and mean like Sasuke you'll be like WAT. NARUTO R U OK?

That is exactly what happens WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR CHARACTER I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

Please, people. Please just AT LEAST DO YOUR RESEARCH. I AM CRY AT PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THEIR OWN CHARACTERS. HOWWWWW. IT'S LIKE WALKING INTO AN ENGLISH EXAM TO DO MATH QUESTIONS YOU JUST DON'T.

I would rather people start with a character they absolutely love to pieces, rather than an over-done popular character they don't care two cents about. Because sometimes it really is the passion that makes the difference.

6 comments:

  1. An emo naruto. XD Only happens in fanfictions. Are they portraying him at a certain phase of his life?

    I can relate to the fact that out-of-character cosplayers are rather annoying, like a buzz around the film. I'm only angry if someone who really don't look like the character they are trying to cosplay are attempting to look like them and failing badly, but that's just me.

    Do you think it's possible to start cosplaying with only rm50 to spare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I don't follow the manga anymore I'm pretty sure at no point in his life did Naruto sulk and brood and vow to kill his brother. 8D

      And I think that if they don't look like the character but are TRYING to, it's good enough. If you can recognize a character, it means it's still recognizable. At least all they need if just a lot more effort. Even skin color can be changed, so for cosplay it's not really a big deal, though that's another story for another time, LOL.

      It depends on the character, then. For a character like Naruto, who has a distinctive costume and wig and weapons, no, RM50 won't be enough. But say if you'll be cosplaying a simple character which does not require much stuff to be bought, possibly. If you're smart with your money.

      You can choose to cut up clothes you already have to use as a costume, or go scour the pasar malam, or if despo enough and you have really good friends, you can loan clothes. (laugh)

      For props, usually you can make it out of paper clay/cardboard etc, so it's fine.

      If you're really that short on cash though, I recommend you to not start first. Save up to a considerable amount, because the first time you always tend to overspend a bit, since you still have yet to gain experience on the best bargains etc. (Alternatively, if you have cosplay friends already, you can consider asking them if they can loan you a full costume so you can have a taste of the whole cosplay experience.)

      Delete
  2. OHMYGOD. Bless this post~
    I've been wanting to post this on my own blog but instead, I only made this: http://sakiko-shen.tumblr.com/post/43313096817/thought-on-cosplaying

    Based on your post, with the Alodia thing and much more, I'm guessing you're from the PH too? (Sorry, I haven't checked out your blog yet, but right after this, I'm going to)

    People here doesn't really know the essence of cosplaying and everything you said was true. One time, at Ozine Fest last Friday (April 12), I was cosplaying Konata from Lucky Star and this kid suddenly ran into me, screaming from joy and spazzing like a fangirl. She's acting out what a fangirl looks like and based from her face, I can see that she's so joyful to see Konata alive. Not to be arrogant or anything, but this made me cry and made me proud a little, it's not everyday that you see a young child running in your direction and act like that. For once, I made a kid happy just by being one of my favorite characters. Can't the people see it? I'm happy because I AM MY FAVORITE CHARACTER, I CAN MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY TOO even just for a day and there are people bitching about these things just to be popular? AW HEYLLL NOOO! Lots of cosplayers here are cosplaying whole heartedly, but what do they get? Nothing. But what do these pretty faces and half-assed + out-of-character cosplayers get? ATTENTION. I'm not saying that people should turn their heads to us, but seeing it like this, it's kind of unfair. People who actually give out their time and effort for a hobby like this aren't always rewarded. And the media always focuses on the pretty faces too, I'm not happy with this type of community. NOT HAPPY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha nice one! :D Also no, I'm from Malaysia. :) Although one of my FAVORITE COSPLAYERS EVER is from Philippines, and take a wild guess, but it's not Alodia. ;) (It's Jin, behindinfinity on dA. LOL)

      Yes I understand, it's the same here. :( Although I don't think it's EVERYONE doing it (nor, as far as I know, to my knowledge, that there are cosplay TV shows), but in Malaysia it's usually the new people who are behaving this way, which is not a good thing.

      Hahaha nice!! :D Yes I LOVE that feeling when people meet you and feel like they've SEEN their favorite character IRL, and it just MAKES THEIR DAY. I mean I know *I* got deliriously happy when i saw someone cosplay Edward Elric SO WELL one time, so it's good to know how cosplay spreads happiness as well! xD

      (And we all agree media does a shitty job at covering cosplay news/events etc. LOLOLOL!)

      (Also this is my currently ONLY cosplay-related post... OwO;;; but come back soon! xD I have more rants in store. OOPS!)

      Delete
    2. Hello~

      I'll definitely come back here! AND HERE I AM!! *u*
      And we also have the same favorite cosplayer!! Yay! *clapclap
      I love Jin Joson, omg, she's my favorite cosplayer here in the PH, I haven't met her yet, but if I do, I'll send you something, maybe. (A PHOTO OF HER HOLDING A FAN SING WITH YOUR NAME OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT ;) )

      I just strolled through your blog, and I'm gonna keep my word, I'll be a regular reader here. I can't follow you here (do you follow people here on blogspot? Sorry, I don't know, I don't have one XD)

      ♥♥♥

      Delete
    3. OHMYGOD YOU LIKE HER TOO!!!!! *FANGIRL SQUEALS* YOU'RE SO LUCKY YOU LIVE IN PH YOU CAN STALK- I mean. Get a chance to greet- HER IN CONS AND ALL I WAS ACTUALLY PLANNING TO GO TO PH TO CATCH HER DURING A CON OR SOMETHING IDK

      OMG IKR like a LOT of my cosplay passion stems from her, she was the one who pretty much pushed me into cosplaying- WELL. She writes all about how she has fun with friends and how to enjoy yourself properly in cons and her shoots OMG I AM CRY AT HER AWESOMENESS OMG A FAN SIGN WOULD BE FABULOUS WHAT IS THIS GLORIOUS MOMENT I DON'T UNDERSTAND MY FEELS

      Awww thank you dear!! :D (It's okay, I have a Tumblr too, but it's all reblogs only, teehee!) but yeahhh I think you can only "follow" if you have a gmail/blogspot account. :(

      THANKS FOR THE INTEREST IN MY BLOG THO! :DDD

      Delete