Sunday, April 21, 2013

Service Providers Provide No Service

One thing I always gripe about when I go out to eat is the compulsory service charge and government tax, because it always makes the total price ridiculously more expensive. (That's usually a 16% extra on whatever you ordered, except in some places it's an insane 20%.)

Yesterday was a perfect time to show why I gripe about the service charge. I never like giving the government my money already so the government tax is forever ignored. But service charge is another thing all together.

Many a times I wish we could do what they do in America, and leave tips. If that happens in Malaysia I can save myself a LOT on tips because some people really don't deserve my money at all. Service providers don't provide service. I don't provide their tips.

Recently my sister bought online movie tickets at TGV in Sunway, and when we went to collect it, they couldn't find her tickets. There was a lot of panic going about since the movie was about to start, so the lady at the counter went to check with her manager. It turned out that the booking was all correct... for the TGV in Ipoh. We were quite dumbfounded. Right after telling us this, the lady asked us to leave the line. She offered no more assistance in possibly getting us a seat at the Sunway TGV, or even a smile. Just quite simply a GTFO my lawn situation. In her defence I guess she wasn't really obligated to help us out, but still. It put a huge twist in our day.

Well obviously since the movie was out of the question for now we decided to go for food. It's been ages since we had Burger King (and honestly I never knew there was a BK in Sunway) so we went there.

(Picture stolen from the internet.)


WHAT A WASTE OF TIME THOUGH.

Like what normal people would do, we lined up at the counter with less people. Because, you know. Less people = faster service. Logical right?

There were two people who were supposed to work at the counter and three to four other people in the kitchen. The outlet didn't seem like it was short on staff or anything. The African dude in front of me had placed his order and moved to the side to wait for it. I was basically the next person to place my order.

For some reason the cashiers moved to the back to prepare the African dude's food. Without taking my order. Or the order of the people in the other line. Basically on the screen where the workers (and us) could see placed orders, there was only ONE order.

If you guys have been to any fast food outlet (like McD or something) then you should know that the orders should be taken continuously, which would show up on the screen, and the workers in the kitchen can prepare it then send it to the counter. That's how it's supposed to work.

What happened was that there was only ONE order and like ten people lining up with no one to take their orders. The worker who was supposed to prepare the burgers had nothing to do so she was just chilling there, and the guy who made the french fries was stoning away at the oil stove, while the rest of the workers who looked like they had nothing to do were just standing at the back talking to each other. No one was at the counter to take orders, and the the fat lady who prepared the African dude's food was so bad at it she spilled the fries over the tray and had to push the fries all back into the little box. She took like two minutes doing this. Two minutes. 120 seconds. To push spilled fries back into their boxes.



Honestly speaking everyone in there was so inefficient even flipping burgers is much too hard for them. Fast food outlet? Hah, I could get faster food if an ant carried it to me.

Finally this Chinese lady came out from the back room and came (with relatively quick speed) to the counter. The other line, that is. At this point I was getting extremely frustrated already, because I was hungry and I am not a patient person. Then halfway through the order of the person at the other line she suddenly turned to me and said,

"Counter closed." and closed the register.

Just like that. She didn't even look at me. Didn't apologize for the horrid service. After I waited around 10 minutes for nothing she just closed the counter in front of my face.


I was ready to throw a fit right then and there but then decided that yelling at such people would not only be uncouth of me, but also lead to nowhere, so I grit my teeth and rage quit the place.

Like hell I'm lining up at the other counter again. Bitch please.

So we went over to have Sushi King near the ice skating rink. The service wasn't all that good either but after what happened in Burger King it was at least MUCH better.

It's really disheartening how Malaysians tolerate the ridiculous service everywhere. In restaurants, doing official paperwork, in government offices, basically everywhere... Malaysians never know what their own rights are. They are terribly ignorant towards their rights, including how they live their lives. Considering how aggressive most of them are on the roads, the rest of them are passive in everything. Like a dog that is on a leash and needs to be lead around. Ignorance is the biggest downfall of Malaysian society, not bigotry. Bigotry is downfall of Malaysian politics, and then again possibly politics worldwide, though I dare not make such a claim.

As a service provider you are supposed to provide service to the best of your ability. This means even though you had the shittiest day ever you don't show your bad mood to the customers, because no one appreciates your shittiness. ESPECIALLY if you're working as a service provider. We don't owe you anything. We don't want to deal with your moods. We are not even obligated to deal with your moods.

Service providers, however, ARE OBLIGATED TO. You provide service, you provide quality service. Smile, say thank you, and apologize when in doubt. Sure it's a shitty ass job but it's your job so suck it up and do it.

Also never forget the most important RULE #1:

The customer is always right.

And if you think the customer is wrong, there is RULE #2:

Refer back to rule #1.

because if you don't, some irate customer is going to be sick of all the bad service and blog about it. And who knows maybe that irate customer won't ever be going back to Sunway Burger King anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment