Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Worst Thing About Growing Up

You see, I realize now that when my mom told me to not grow up so early, she was right. As she is with many many things.

Growing up isn't just necessarily "I'll do what I want" or "I'll make the decisions" or "It's my life" (guilty as charged). It's what comes after that, when things don't look so good and you chew on the short end of the stick muttering regrets. Mistakes happen, yes. But growing up means taking the bull by the horns and blaming no one but yourself.

I could name so many things to blame: the system, the people, the paperwork. Yet I can't, not really, only reluctantly. The only thing I can do is sigh and hope for the best. Ultimately I was the one who made the decision. Was it a good decision? No. Was it a bad decision? Probably. Should I have thought about it a lot more? Yes, but I understand at that particular moment in time I was desperate. It still isn't an excuse though, so I'll have to pay for that.

Taking responsibility for yourself is a hard course of action that isn't popular with anyone, but it is one we must take. Suffice to say, this time around I have truly learnt "I'll make the decisions" and won't ever make decisions influenced by others.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up isn't about making decisions, and being punished by consequences. You can't make a real decision for the future, ever. Growing up also isn't about "taking responsibility", as much as the society wants you to believe.

    Growing up is about... experiencing more, more of life. Understanding it better, and reacting better to it. Which is also known as... making a REAL decision, NOW.

    If you are tired of your life now, I implore you to re-evaluate what you truly want. Because whatever you are doing now, is DEFINITELY NOT what you want. Growing up is about reacting (making the real decision) to the current situation, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I can't really focus only on the current situation right? If I indulge in my current whims and fancies I'll end up regretting a lot of stuff.

      Like say I want to spend all day just watching movies or reading books... It's an experience, but it's not substantial? Like where do I go from there? What more is there?

      Delete