Saturday, April 21, 2012

Battleship

First let me say that this movie has no plot at all. There is a general idea (aliens invade earth, humans fight back with ships) but in terms of plot, it is so riddled with holes and wtf moments that it really is better to just take everything at face value.

But because I'm an asshole, I shall list the plot holes that my friends and I have discussed, together with generally funny stuff that came up.


  • main character breaks into a convenience store for a chicken burrito, because obviously he needs to climb the roof and break many things. The police are called in, everything becomes highly dramatic, and the main character gets tased. 
  • Explosions.
  • Explosions, then stop, rewind, and explode again. To quote Joel, "reversing time when you're caught in an explosion seems legit."
  • The aliens have plastic-y beards. Wtfuckery exists.
  • Apparently large battle ships can drift on water, much like how a car drifts on asphalt. I don't think anchors were meant to be used like that.
  • Satellite dishes sends signals every 24 hours? Proposed time: 4.37am. What happened 4 hours before the time period? Hopper using the glare of the sun to blind aliens. This reminds me of the song Jetlag. "Figuring out the time zone's making me craaaaaazy!" Of course.
  • Big alien yo-yos crash into Hong Kong. After causing great destruction, it is not mentioned ever again. For that matter, Hong Kong is not mentioned either.
  • Fighter jets bomb a sinking ship. Explosions upon explosions indeed.

There are many others, but just trying to recall the story makes my head hurt. It's all in all a fun movie, particularly with a bunch of friends, but it's easily forgotten and shallow. Enjoy the visual vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment